Inspire

Inspire

Monday, March 28, 2011

Wanderlust

I have wanted to explore for years.  I have this stir crazy wanderlust that continues to gain momentum each year that passes by.  I will unveil myself a bit here and admit that one of my biggest regrets in life is lack of travel.  I feel this void.  I feel a bit empty that I have never really seen the world, seen different cultures.  Its as if there is this giant color wheel, filled with such a magnificent variety and I have only seen a few shades of purple.  How boring.  I find myself so intrigued by other people's stories of travel, yet envious at the same time.  Not only do I want to see the world for my own self exploration but I want the hinges of my "out of the box" box to be oiled and not so rusty.  I feel so closed off at times from opportunities and inspiration in other cultures.  It frustrates me.  Of course I know the answer to my woes, just go for it.  Travel.  See the world through MY eyes and no one else's.  Travel can, at times, be intimidating.  But, as much as we sometimes hesitate in the face of NEW, we embrace it too.  Some of us crave, thrive, consume all that is unknown, different. My soul is an arrow directly down the middle.  I do hesitate at the idea of my comfort zone being compromised , but I have taught myself to push through the fear, breathe and just take it on.  An unbelievable freedom takes over when you do.
I know, if I take my adventures someday, I will be overwhelmed by the inspiration I will find, not just in design but in any part of life.  The things I could see, bring back with me.  The colors, the aesthetic, the linens and fabrics.  The architecture and fashion.  The plates of colorful food,  the markets.  The smiles of strangers passing by.  The way people move, how they shake hands, embrace and enjoy.  People's time spent and time lost.  Suns setting, how the wind smells and hits my face or those earthly felt scents of the morning. The love between people, even their hate.  Who knows?
I once worked at a accessories boutique where the entire collection sold was inspired by items found around the world.  I have always admired the owner, and taken her with me every step of my creative way.  She once told me that the beauty she saw throughout her life, traveling and exploring was the sole reason she opened her store.  I loved that.  She wanted to share.  Express her gratitude to the places that defined her.  And guess what, she was successful at it.  I hope to accomplish what she did at some point in my life.  Gain inspiration through a narrow street filled with colorful doorways and window panes or an overwhelming piece of architecture.  Indulge in a succulent meal made specifically for me and from only the freshest local ingredients, take in the vast beauty and loneliness of the desert or see the ocean from a different part of the world.  And mostly, I hope to feel the overwhelming joy of gaining a new view and adding a few more colors onto my color wheel.

Below is some inspiration from the wonderful places I hope to visit and explore someday.  Enjoy!


Thailand







Africa









Greece

 






No comments:

Post a Comment