Inspire

Inspire

Monday, February 21, 2011

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams."

I had some extremely colorful and wild dreams this past weekend.  I think the term "all over the board" might be a good way to describe them.  I dream in color.  I'm grateful for that.  I'd like to believe it is a representation of my personality.  I'd like to believe that my sub conscious thoughts having color and movement, might mean, hopefully, I am a creative soul.  Or, unfortunately, it could also mean that I ate too late, and that delicious brownie sundae curbed all thoughts into a spiraling sugar rush that caused all my dreams to flash, disco dance and firework up a storm.  Either way, who cares, I had a blast.  These dreams also got me thinking.  I thought about our imagination.  Our dreams.  The thoughts that consume us, and for the lucky ones, come out in some artistic form.  These thoughts, not only jump started by my adventures while sleeping but also from an article I read Saturday afternoon. While on her honeymoon, my sister purchased a magazine to read over the seemingly decade it takes to fly to Thailand, and upon return was kind enough to pass this magazine on to her curious and always hungry for creative influence sister.  The magazine, in it's rich, inspiring and beautiful pages, was called International Design.  Among the pages were visions of mid century modern homes, blank canvas filled by designers from all over the world, gorgeous brown leather chairs, upholstered stools and sofas, wallpaper samples that would just melt into a room perfectly if given the chance.  A magazine non the less, but anything that turns me on, lights the fire and gets me obsessively frantic about the world and the unique people that live inside it, is a big fat hell yes to in my book, regardless of it's literary social stature.  So, as I flipped through, diving into each page, sipping my coffee, I came across one specific article.   Now before I divulge into who this article was about, let me ask you......have you ever believed in Witches?  Have you ever wondered about Big Friendly Giants?  Have you ever believed you could move objects with the pure will of wanting to do so, or I dare ask, have you ever, and I mean ever, eaten off of a Giant Peach?  If the answer is yes, then you went along for the ride....as did I......and in a way, i'm still holding on to my handlebars as tight as I can, unwilling to let that my imagination grow old.  Whimsical, colorful and full of magic, those are the stories of Roald Dahl.  One of my favorite authors, and a fixture in creativity and wonder.  The article so delicately touches on who he was, why he was and what he still is even after his death.  And on top of it, the article features photos of his writing hut, a place as special as his writings.  So below, please take a moment to read a few of his words and take an adventure inside the mind of one of my inspirations.   Go on, revisit your childhood.
~L

"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."
Roald Dahl

"Matilda said, "Never do anything by halves if you want to get away with it. Be outrageous. Go the whole hog. Make sure everything you do is so completely crazy it's unbelievable..."











 

No comments:

Post a Comment